The Ambulance Services department is comprised of a Full-Time Director and Part-Time EMT's. Below is the NJ scope of practice of the services they provide.
N.J.A.C. 8:40-7.1 (2012)
§ 8:40-7.1 Scope of practice for EMT-Basics
(a) EMT-Basics shall operate within their approved scope of practice.
(b) The following skills and procedures are within the approved scope of practice for an EMT-Basic:
1. Patient assessment, including vital signs and ongoing evaluation;
2. Pulmonary or cardiopulmonary resuscitation and foreign body airway obstruction management;
3. Oxygen administration;
4. Oropharyngeal or nasopharyngeal airway insertion;
5. Oropharyngeal and nasopharyngeal suctioning;
6. Assessment and management of cardiac, respiratory, diabetic shock, behavioral and heat/cold emergencies, for example, as prescribed within the National Standard Curriculum for EMT-Basics;
7. Emergency treatment for bleeding, burns, poisoning, seizures, soft tissue injuries, chest-abdominal-pelvic injuries, muscle and bone injuries, eye injuries and childbirth (including care of the newborn), as prescribed within the National Standard Curriculum for EMT-Basics;
8. Application of spinal immobilization devices and splinting materials, including traction splints;
9. Basic triage and basic maneuvers to gain access to the patient;
10. Patient lifting and moving techniques;
11. AED utilization;
12. Assisting an EMT-Paramedic, registered nurse or physician; and
13. Assisting a patient to administer drugs previously prescribed for that patient, limited to:
i. Prescribed metered dose inhaler;
ii. Sublingual nitroglycerin; or
iii. Epinephrine auto injector.