Deputy Township Clerk: Janice F. Hughes, RMC
Office Staff: Pamela Gonzalez, Jennifer L. Rocco, Andrea Smith
Phone: 609-926-4085 Fax: 609-926-4104 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
PERMITS ARE REQUIRED FOR ALL PRIVATE SALES AND AUCTIONS
WHAT IS CONSIDERED A PRIVATE AUCTION?
- The sale, barter, exchange or display of any new or used furniture, sporting goods, fixtures, vehicles, equipment, clothing, metal, glass, paper, rubber, synthetics, household goods or rummage conducted upon private premises and conducted by a person employed for such purpose, whether compensated or not.
All persons employed for the purpose of conducting private sales or private auctions, whether compensated or not, shall be required to obtain a bond in the sum of $5,000 payable to the Township of Egg Harbor and to the citizens of the State of New Jersey. The bond shall ensure that the principal will faithfully conform to each and all ordinances of the Township of Egg Harbor then in force or thereafter adopted, related to auction sales or the business of auctioneers. The bond shall not be void upon the first recovery and may be used and recovered from time to time until the whole penalty is exhausted. The life of the obligation of such bond shall be made such that it will continue for such length of time as such person remains in the business of conducting auctions as an auctioneer and for 90 days thereafter. The bond shall be renewed each year so that the full $5,000 is available at the start of each year the auctioneer engages in such business. It is further provided that the surety may cancel this bond and be relieved of any further liability thereunder by giving 120 days' notice in writing of its desire to do so to the Township of Egg Harbor
WHAT IS CONSIDERED A PRIVATE SALE?
- The sale, barter, exchange or display of any new or used furniture, sporting goods, fixtures, vehicles, equipment, clothing, metal, glass, paper, rubber, synthetics, household goods or rummage conducted upon private premises.
WHAT IS A PRIVATE PREMISE?
- Any dwelling house, building or other structure designed or used either wholly or in part for private residential purposes, whether inhabited or temporarily or continuously uninhabited or vacant, and shall include any yard, grounds, walk, driveway, porch, garage, steps or vestibule belonging or appurtenant to such dwelling, house or other structure.
WHAT IS EACH APPLICANT REQUIRED TO PROVIDE?
- Identification with current address
- The date of the sale or auction (limited to two consecutive days with an option for rain dates
- The block, lot and street location of the private sale or auction
- The type of merchandise to be sold
- Applicant/owner’s name including owner’s proof of ownership
- If applicant is not the owner, applicant must provide written permission from the owner to conduct the sale or auction and supply a copy of their drivers license or other identification with signature
- $5 fee
WHAT ARE THE HOURS OF SALE OR AUCTION?
- 9:00 a.m. until sunset.
IS THERE A LIMIT ON THE NUMBER OF PERMITS I AM ALLOWED TO APPLY FOR?
- No person shall be issued more than 4 permits within a one-year period
- No more than 4 permits are permitted at any location within a one-year period
- If the permit is for a non-profit organization or corporation such as a fire company, rescue squad, church or Veterans of Foreign Wars, there shall be issued no more than 6 permits for any 1 location within 1 year
- Sales are limited to 2 consecutive days